Revival races are becoming more and more common, with such unavoidable events as the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the Goodwood Revival, the Silverstone Classic, the Le Mans Classic or the Monaco Historic Grand Prix just to name a few. Inspired by this events, and with the aims of commemorating the atmosphere of the old urban circuit of Montjuïc in Barcelona (which used to be the venue for the Spanish F1 Grand Prix, among other races) and of establishing itself as one of the big classic motoring events of Southern Europe, the first edition of the Spirit of Montjuïc, Catalunya Classic Revival was held last year at the Circuit de Catalunya in Montmeló, near Barcelona (Spain).
A Brabham BT44 and a McLaren M26 in the chicane of the stadium section at the Circuit de Catalunya during the last edition of the Spirit of Montjuïc.
This year, the Spirit of Montjuïc comes back in force, sparing no efforts to offer revival races of the highest quality and a huge array of secondary activities during its duration. The expected program includes:
- Racing program:
- Classic F1 – Grand Prix Master Series
- Pre 1966 GT – Gentlemen Drivers Pre-66 GTs
- Pre 1966 Touring Cars – Masters Pre-66 Touring Cars
- Le Mans Prototypes (group 4) – World Sportscar Masters
- Can-Am and 1970s prototypes (Group 2) – Interseries Revival
- C Group cars– Masters Sport Prototypes
- Motorbike Classics – ICGP Racing
- Free access to the paddock. Exhibitors from the world of classic cars will be present at the Spirit of Montjuïc, providing a rarely found opportunity to get up close (and we mean “so close you can touch it” close) to the car or motorcycle of your dreams.
- Montjuïc market. Meant as a means of returning to the past and recapture the atmosphere of the old Montjuïc circuit, here you will be able to buy articles dating from the golden age of the circuit (back in the 1960s and 1970s), from spare parts for cars or motorcycles to antiques, vintage clothing…
- Fun Fair. A fun fair featuring genuine vintage attractions (merry-go-rounds, bumper cars, an old-time ferris wheel…) will be installed near the paddock during the whole weekend.
- Live Music. Different areas of the paddock will be featuring bands in action playing music from the era.
- Air Show. Each day at noon, an air show performed by classic airplanes flying over the Montmeló track will be offered.
- Ferrari F-40 gathering. Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Ferrari F40, several Ferrari clubs will meet in the Spirit of Montjuïc – Catalunya Classic Revival and will give enthusiasts the chance to admire several F40s up close, and see them drive around the track of the Circuit de Catalunya.
Not only F1 and prototypes put up a good show as proven by this aggressively driven Mini Cooper (notice that only 3 wheels are touching the tarmac!).
For more information regarding this event, visit http://www.espiritudemontjuic.com.
- Sun block is a must, even in April.
- If you only have to show up one day, let it be Saturday. Classic cars and motorbikes have this bad habit of breaking down, and some machines may not be featuring Sunday.
- Enjoy a good stroll around the paddock. Getting this close to racing machines is an opportunity to be taken.
- Be respectful to the pilots, machines (do not touch them!) and to the organization of the event. When in doubt, do not hesitate to ask.
- Should you feel in the mood for it, the organization encourages its visitors to come dressed as they would have in that era (from the 1940s to the 1970s, so you have plenty of choice).
Strolling around the paddock will let you see scenes such as this: The Matra MS670C winner of the Interseries Revival race being pushed by its mechanics.
You cannot miss the opportunity of enjoying classic racing in the unique setting of the Circuit de Catalunya. You cannot let the opportunity pass of getting up close to legendary racing cars. I short, you cannot miss this Event.
Come to the Spirit of Montjuïc with EventGo!
Finally, here you have a video with some images of last year’s edition of the Spirit of Motnjuïc:
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
Source: Video uploaded by EdM20121